1 „Along the former Iron Curtain” - Sopron, Paneuropean Picnic Memorial, Fertőrákos & Fertő Lake (Neusiedler See)
- Sightseeing tour of Sopron, with emphasis on stories and sights connected to the Iron Curtain periode / 1989.
- Travelling to the Paneuropean Picnic Memorial Park (6 km out of Sopron), where an event of world history took place in 1989. Pulling down of the Iron Curtain was started here and the famous border breakthrough of East-Germans took place on 19 August 1989.
- Visiting the famous Roman quarry of Fertőrákos – today a famous openair theatre, with fantastic view from the top on Lake Fertő region. A statue made by Gabriella von Habsburg reminds the visitors of the famous border breakthrough. The quarry, along with the village Fertőrákos and Lake Fertő are protected by UNESCO as World Heritage.
- On the way to the lake getting acquinted with the sights of Fertőrákos: 16th century public pillory, 12th century church, episcopal summer residence.
- The ride terminates at the Fertő Lake /Neusiedler See boat station where we get over to the boat for a 1-hour panoramic boat trip on the most western steppe lake of Europe, a real bird paradise, also charged with interesting historical details from the Iron Curtain periode.
Duration: 4 hours
Price for guidance & additional costs: 85 EUR + ca. 12 EUR/person (entrance to the quarry + ticket for the boat)
Mid-March - end of October, vehicle is needed for the programme.